FAQs About Dentures
Dentures are a convenient option for replacing missing teeth and restoring your smile. Additionally, when missing teeth are replaced, normal biting and chewing functions are restored. Dentures can even improve speech and restore the natural shape of the face by providing support for sagging muscles. Here at our office in Naples, FL, Drs. Richard and Maria Linden are your dentists for dentures—read on to learn what they can do for you!
What are the benefits of dentures?
Dentures offer numerous benefits. A primary benefit is that dentures restore your smile by replacing missing teeth and filling in the gaps caused by missing teeth. Other benefits of dentures include:
- Restoring the natural shape of the face
- Providing support for sagging facial muscles
- Restoring normal biting and chewing functions
- Improving speech affected by the gaps from missing teeth
- Reducing the strain on existing teeth that were compensating for missing ones
What are full and partial dentures?
Dentures that replace a full row of missing teeth along the top or bottom arch are called full dentures. Partial dentures are used when only some of the teeth are missing along an arch and some natural teeth remain. Your Naples dentist can discuss the different types of dentures with you and recommend the right type for your needs.
What are the different types of partial dentures?
There are two main types of partial dentures:
- Transitional—Worn temporarily while the mouth heels from a tooth extraction or other procedure. Transitional partial dentures are worn until dental implants can be placed.
- Removable Partial—Removable partial dentures are worn long-term and replace missing teeth when some natural teeth still remain.
What are the different types of full dentures?
There are three main types of full dentures:
- Immediate—This type of denture is worn temporarily while the gums heal from extractions or other procedures. Eventually, an immediate full denture will be replaced with a conventional one.
- Conventional—This type of denture is custom made for each patient and is meant to be worn long-term to replace a full row of teeth.
- Implant-Supported Overdentures—This type of full denture is held in place by several dental implants, which eliminates the need to secure the denture with an adhesive. This type of denture is often used when there are no teeth in the jaw bone to support a denture.
Need dental work? Give us a call
Dentures can restore your smile and so much more. To find out which type of denture is right for you, schedule an appointment with either Dr. Richard or Dr. Maria Linden, your Naples dentists, by calling Linden Dental at (239) 593-0777.